Friday, February 24, 2012

Is it too late for the kid to learn up multiplication table?

I started Wyng with his multiplication table about two weeks ago, he is already in Standard Three this year.

I could recall I drilled Hoe on his multiplication table when he was probably 9 or 10.

Actually, I've had complaints that Wyng was not familiar with his multiplication since last year from his Maths tutor. I didn't take any action then.  Then, lately this year, I got the same feedback from the Kumon facilitator that he isn't very good at it.  It was then that I've decided that I should not leave this boy alone to master this important element in Maths.

So, since early this month, I started this boy to recite the multiplication table from 2 onwards during his car journey to school in the morning.  It was painful at first.  He was not familiar and it took him quite a while to complete until multiplication 6.  There was a lot of struggling going on in the car which is just about 10 minutes drive.   Today, after only about 2 weeks, on a daily basis, he is able to memorize the table from 2 to 7 with no problems.  He started 8 two days ago and today, he even did until 9 without any pushing from Mom.  Can you believe it when he told me his classmate can recite until 12!  Come to think of it, it may not be surprising at all.  Maybe, Mom is late in drilling Wyng.

With this positive behaviour of his, Mom promises to buy him McFlurry after lunch, much to his joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers